Monday, February 15, 2010

Food Inc. 1

The film Food Inc., has not necessarily changed my eating habits on a regular basis, but when I went to the store following that movie I did buy some organic food. When I was at Wal-Mart buying eggs, I went straight to the organic section for them because all I could think about what the chickens in the film. In the film, they discussed how chicken are fed to grow almost much faster than a normal chicken so there legs can’t even hold themselves up for more than one or two steps. Another part in the movie that was really mind changing was the cows and ecoli. The cows are fed corn so they develop much bigger and with more meat. The ecoli comes from the cows eating the corn because they are grazers, which means they should only be eating grass. The ecoli develops in the cow’s body and the farmers do not care because they have to find ways to have their cows growing much faster and larger than others so the top business will keep using their cows. This is a terrible thought because many people have died from this disease and the only thing the business did was find a chemical that can be put on the meat that will kill the ecoli, instead of just having the cows eat there naturally given diet. And finally the last thing that comes to mind about the film is the corn. The corn industry is much larger than I ever imaged considering that corn is an ingredient in pretty much anything I eat. When watching the movie my neighbor was drinking an iced tea which was even one of many things corn is chemically changed to create. I would think quickly by saying that this is a good thing for the economy because corn is so cheap and we could be getting it at a surplus, but thinking about all the different chemicals in my body from the transformations makes me sick. When the film was showing all the different types of food that corn is a part of I pretty much saw my grocery list flash before my eyes . The scary thing here is that I have no control over this problem because pretty much all food has a different chemically made corn in it.

Not only did the film show the negative aspects of the health issues this humans and animals, but the book did the same. The book focused in a little more on the human’s health issues rather the animals but over all they both were explaining different negative facts about the issue. One issue explained in the book is that cows that graze have much better benefits for people to eat rather than the cows that are fed corn all their lives. The omega-3 fatty acids are much better for people than the chemicals and chance of ecoli that people get when eating a cow that is fed corn. The film makes this much clearer about the ecoli when you can see a veterinarian inside the cow pulling out the corn that is not yet digested in the cow. The book on the other hand is better in its own way because they give more facts about the different omega-3 fatty acid you get when eating a grazing cow. The quote that triggered all my thoughts was, “beef and milk produced from cattle raised entirely on pasture (where they ate only grass) have higher levels of beneficial fats, including omega-3 fatty acids, which may prevent heart disease and strengthen the immune system," on page 22 of the text.

6 comments:

  1. Mr Fude,
    Let me first say that your opinion mirrors mine in many ways. Perhaps it is because we sit next to each other and shared the experience of watching the movie together, or perhaps it is because we both went into this part of the course knowing little to none about where our food comes from. Indeed, my iced tea did have high fructose corn in it and that was a shocking discovery to both of us. I agree with your discussion about the chickens and cows being overfed just so they can produce the most product in the shortest time. I must say, the movie was much more moving than the book because of the visual aspect of the things being done. On the other hand, the book gave you a chance as a reader to take in the facts slowly and digest them one at a time. Keep up the superb writing and sharing of your thoughts and emotions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too went shopping and was grossed out by some of the things I was buying. However, my buying habits did not change like yours. I felt the movie was good, but the price is still what decided the product I was going to buy. I also feel I have been eating the same foods my whole life so I do not know if changing now would really be worth it. Also, the kid sitting next to you, his name is Tim, not Dan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The point about corn you made is very true. Corn is in everything, so it definitely seems like it will be difficult to avoid chemically made corn. I haven't really had a chance to go out and buy more food after viewing the movie, but like you said I do not believe it will change my eating habits much. I will consider trying some organic eggs like you though because of how the chickens are farmed and the problems that they are having because of the methods used to farm and grow them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your observations and the fact that you are starting to think more consciously of what you eat. I think it's a shame that it takes a film to confront people on thinking about what we are actually consuming. Like I believe either Schlosser or Pollan said that it's weird to think that people need to investigate what they're eating nowadays. I think all the time about what I'm consuming and a majority of the ideas in Food Inc I had seen before. I still eat Wendy's and McD's on a regular basis, but I'm also kind of a self-loathing human as well. Good luck to good health and good food!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You bring up good points. It is very hard to avoid eating the products that the movie showed, and it's crazy to think about how many of our everyday foods are made from corn. The corn industry is huge, and it is hard to change the way we eat when corn is in almost everything we consume.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, change is hard and not cheap. The system has to change so that healthy food is cheaper. But there are measures, options, the farmer's market, the Village Bakery, and organics at Kroger and Walmart.

    ReplyDelete